Friday, July 3, 2009

Paul Harvey: Page One

Paul Harvey, the renowned broadcaster with the captivating delivery and the cleverly pitched commercial, has shared a few of his earliest memories with the public over the years.

As you may recall if you've visited Thinkwriter in the past, when we have access to a person’s earliest memory or memories, we have the perfect window through which to recognize this person's worldview. With training, practice, and an experienced understanding about earliest memories, we are able to know and to quickly understand much more about a person than we could otherwise.

Let us now review Paul Harvey’s earliest memories.

1.) I remember once smoking grapevine behind the garage and getting a mouthful of ants.

2.) I remember my first crush. I was 7. Hoping to be noticed, I snapped a rubber band against the neck of poor little Ethel Mae Hazelton. She ran home crying.

3.) I remember my first kiss. It came from a teacher. I remember I was 7; she must have been 100. I forget what I had done thus to be rewarded because I was so flustered when she kissed me. She kissed me right on top of the head – when there was hair there. Instantly, I was in love forever.

4.) I remember during the Depression getting down to one wearable pair of pants. I discovered in class one day that the seat of my pants had finally worn through. I was excused from class early. Embarrassed, I walked home sideways down Main Street. I got angry about my situation when I spotted a chauffeur driven automobile transporting one of the oil barons of the city. I felt sorry for myself and jealous of a man I had never met. When I arrived home I showed my mother the hole. She took me to downtown Bell’s clothing store where she purchased a new suit of clothes that came with two pair of pants. It cost eleven dollars and ninety-five cents. (I later learned she had taken the money from the account she set aside for paying taxes.)

To begin to recognize Paul Harvey’s authentic worldview, look first for the commonalities in his recollections. A person's eariest memories always share a similar drumbeat. After a careful review, select Paul Harvery's worldview from the list to follow. Vote your best choice in the poll to the right.

Stay tuned and in the next few days, I will post his worldview and a commentary to explain the answer.

As always, thank you for participating! (poll now closed; correct answer in red)

1. Man is basically good.
2. I’m the king of attention.
3. Try not to show your ass.
4. Love makes the world go round.

3 comments:

Nienna said...

Thanks for the reminder to look for commonalities. I'm going with the "attention" view and can find it clearly in three of the memories, but have difficulty connecting it to getting a mouthful of ants.

Candis said...

Nienna,
Two thoughts: (1.) The ants definitely get his attention, (perhaps reminding him that smoking is a bad idea:-); (2.) On the other hand, consider going a little deeper. Try reaching for a more profound commonality.

Thanks for your comment and for participating.

annie said...

This is a hard one! I was going to say "love makes the world go round" but after thinking a bit, I would guess "try not to show your ass." Guess I will have to wait and see what you say!