Sunday, November 8, 2009

Rowling Out the Truth

Joanne Murray, or J.K. Rowling as she is known the world over, was born Joanne “Jo” Rowling on July 31, 1965, in Gloucestershire, England. Celebrated for creating the wildly popular Harry Potter series, Rowling is also well-known for inspiring kids to read, for winning innumerable book awards, and for charming the media with such an incredible rags-to-riches story that Forbes named her the first person to become a U.S. dollar billionaire by writing books!

Thinkwriter is delighted to present what J.K. Rowling describes as her “most vivid memory of childhood.” What follows is that memory, in Rowling’s own words.

My most vivid memory of childhood is my father sitting and reading The Wind in the Willows to me. I had the measles at the time, but I don’t really remember that. I just remember the book.

In light of the truth that a single memory illuminates a person’s worldview in the same way a single blood sample reveals a person's health status, what does J.K. Rowling’s early memory suggest to you about her worldview?

Please review the following four possibilities and make your selection by voting in the poll to the right. To share your thoughts, please leave a comment at the end of the post, even anonymously if you wish. As always, thank you for participating!
1. The wind is invisible.
2. Words make the world bigger.(correct answer)
3. Creativity is contagious.
4. There's a fly in the soup.

3 comments:

jkngolf said...

creativity is contagious makes perfect sense to me. Not really, it is just a guess.

jenny said...

Mine is a guess as well but I voted for the wind is invisible. Having not read the first book nor seen the first movie, I do believe it's about wizards, magic,plus the fact the toothache was invisible. I really don't know. Just a wild guess. Glad to see another post by you.

annie said...

I voted for what felt like the obvious answer (words make the world bigger) which probably means I got it wrong!