Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Birthday Boomerang!


It’s Mom’s birthday... August 12th. I am excited, because I will get to eat birthday cake!

I’m with Mom in her bedroom. She is putting on her makeup… bright blue frosty eye shadow, the same color she put on me for my dance recital in May. I lie on her bed and watch. The bedspread is in blues and greens with big flowers. It feels cool on my bare arms and legs.

I hear Daddy come in the back door. I get up and run to the kitchen. He has a white box in his hands that he places on the table. He opens up the box, and I peer inside…Mom’s birthday cake! Creamy white icing with big red roses and fancy writing.

He whispers, “Don’t tell Mom…. It’s a surprise.” I nod in agreement, but I’m not really listening.

I run to Mom’s bedroom, and she is putting on her lipstick. Before I can stop myself, I blurt out, “Daddy has a surprise for you! It’s a cake!” Daddy walks in as I am speaking – disappointment on his face, his brow furrowed.
I know I am in big trouble.

~Rosemary
1999


All of us experience the “out there” world by way of our senses. Now that you have read Rosemary’s earliest recollection, which of the following is the primary way Rosemary experiences her world?
1. Visual
2. Kinesthetic
3. Olfactory
4. Auditory
Please record your choice in the poll to the right…and stay tuned for more about Rosemary coming soon. Thank you for participating!


FOLLOW-UP NOTE...Readers voted and 66% got it right - (the most used sense was VISUAL).

6 comments:

Captainwow said...

I voted for Olfactory by accident 'cause I was thinking Oral. And Oral is not Olfactory! haha

I don't think smell was indicated here at all. Visual might be right and the color Red is mentioned a few times. It's the Look on Daddy's face, it's the red lipstic and the fancy cake.

And what a purdy birthday cake you've got there in the right column. I like it.

Anonymous said...

Lie on bed, putting on makeup,dance recital, get up and run, places cake on the table, opens the box, run to bedroom, Daddy walks in. All using motion. Kinesthetic I think

Anonymous said...

And in comment to Captain Wow, I didn't see smell at all either. I enjoy the pictures you insert with the comments. Too cool.

Anonymous said...

I went and read again. Could be visual as well as kinesthetic, which is my orginal vote.

annie said...

My first instinct was to vote for visual because of all the descriptions of color.

But after reading again, and pondering it a bit, I voted kinesthetic because of all the movement, and the mention of how the bedspread felt on her arms and legs.

Also, choosing visual seemed too easy, too obvious so I went against my instincts. I guess I will see if I am right soon enough!

(And Candis, how did you get that birthday cake photo in the side column? I am impressed!)

Candis said...

Captainwow...
I get where you were coming from in terms of the word "oral." Oral does seem somehow indicated... with all the references to cake and icing and lipstick and blurting out surprises and on and on...!

I notice references to the sense of smell (olfactory)- if even by default, in that eating is accompanied by smelling the food. When cake is served, I think we smell it, too. In fact, when someone loses the sense of smell, I understand that food becomes difficult to enjoy and consume. Just something to chew on:-)

Annie: I'm with you - seems visual wins by a nose - if one goes through and counts the references, although kinesthetic would be second, at least from my vantage point. I'll be posting about all this probably tomorrow and putting up choices for people to name Rosemary's worldview.

Thank you for voting!!

And to all the anonymous voters - thank you so much for participating!!