Sunday, December 14, 2008

Eleanor Roosevelt remembers...

Since becoming First Lady of the United States in 1933, Anna Eleanor Roosevelt remains to this day the most celebrated wife of any American president, living or deceased. Born to wealthy parents on October 11, 1884, Eleanor lost her mother at age eight and her father two years later. She is pictured here with her father, Elliott Roosevelt, and her two younger brothers, Elliott, Jr. and Hall Roosevelt. In this photograph, she has her father's attention and his hand. What follows are four of Eleanor's earliest recollections.

1. One of my earliest recollections is of being dressed up and allowed to come down to dance for a group of gentlemen who applauded and laughed as I pirouetted before them. Finally, my father picked me up and held me high in the air. He dominated my life as long as he lived, and was the love of my life long after he died.

2. [My father] could be annoyed with me, particularly when I disappointed him in such things as physical courage. We went to Sorrento and I was given a donkey so I could ride over the beautiful roads. One day the others overtook me and offered to let me go with them, but at the first deep descent which they slid down I turned pale, and preferred to stay on the high road. I can remember still the tone of disapproval in my father’s voice though his words of reproof have long since faded away.

3. I remember my trip to Vesuvius with my father and the throwing of pennies, which were returned to us encased in lava, and then the endless trip down. I suppose there was some block in the traffic, but I can remember only my utter weariness and my effort to bear it without tears so that my father would not be displeased.

4. I was sent to a convent to learn French and to be out of the way when the new baby arrived. I was not yet six years old. One of the girls [at the convent] swallowed a penny. Every attention was given to her; she was the center of everybody’s interest. I longed to be in her place. One day I went to one of the sisters and told her I had swallowed a penny. It must have been evident that my story was not true so they sent for my mother. She took me away in disgrace.

Eleanor Roosevelt's worldview is which of the following? Select the best one. (correct answer in red)

1. A bad penny always comes back. (0%)

2. I must seek attention. (30%)
3. I have to be needed. (40%)
4. Stay off the low road. (30%)


Please vote for your choice of Eleanor Roosevelt's worldview in the poll to the right, and thank you for participating!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Candis,
Thank you for selecting such a wonderfully powerful woman like Eleanor for us to note the creative way our early memories present us to the world. Please, you keep writing and keep us thinking. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

This was good Candis. Makes me want to read the book.

annie said...

I voted for stay off the low road, and I am not sure why I voted that way. Will look forward to hearing the followup on this one!